Friday 11 July 2014

My nutrient profile

Why I need to make my own

Recently I realized that there is actually no consent over which nutrient profile should be used on diy.soylent.me. And to my surprise, there was very little discussion about them. This meant I couldn't make an informed decision on which one to use without researching each ingredient. And at that point there is no reason to not just make my own profile.
A nutrient profile contains all macro- and micro-nutrients a person needs each day to stay completely nourished. Such a profile is used to help decide on the final amount of each ingredient in a recipe. Keep in mind though that this profile is specific to me and is definitely not optimal for you. 

The profile

There are two versions of the profile, one here on diy.solyent, for you to use if you want to, and one here on Google Docs. The Google Docs version is more detailed and cites sources if you are interested in that kind of thing... For your convenience I also copied the information below:


Update on things I got done 

In my last post I mentioned a lot of things I had to get done before the experiment could begin. And I happily got already a few things done:
  • Bought Ziploc bags (well, not Ziploc specifically, but a similar product), vinegar, salt, water filters and olive oil. I'll have to search for the soybean oil I'll be using in a different store - they didn't have any in the one I was.
  • Created a nutrient profile for myself and made a post about it - as you can see. :)
  • Got the nutrient profile for the masa I can buy locally. It's not enriched, which is inconvenient since for example iron will probably have to be supplemented by adding something else... Let's hope this doesn't become a problem.
All in all I am on schedule and still expect the experiment to start on the 26th of July.

1 comment: